Here's a little project I finished this week. It's for a client that I have been working with. It needed to be re-glued and the springs needed replacing. I was little hesitant to take this project on because of all the well re-gluing and bad springs. If it was one of my pieces no problem if something goes wrong no worries it's just mine, but for a customer it could be bad. She asked if I would just take a look at it and see what I thought. Once I met with her and we discussed her vision for it I felt comfortable taking it on. She understood what could go wrong and was okay with whatever I could do with it. My biggest fear was with the re-gluing. When something needs to be re-glued you need to get the glue as far into the joints onto the dowels as you can. You do this by using a rubber mallet to gently pry (beat) the pieces apart. You cant just squirt glue into the cracks and expect it to last. The risk is that you might split the wood and damage it. Once I got the glue in there I clamped it and left it for 48 hours to ensure it was good to go. It worked great the rocker is very sturdy again. Next we decided to remove the rusty springs and add webbing to support the new cushion.
The rocker is made of oak and once cleaned and sanded it had a really great worn patina and feel. I sealed it with a low sheen poly to protect it.
She chose a blue and white ticking fabric and wanted nail head details. I suggested using twill tape with the nail heads spaced 2" apart. I have been wanting to use this type of trim and I think it's perfect with the ticking.
My client had an old photo of the chair with the previous fabric and decided to repeat the design of the button tufting that was previously the back. Perfect.
This turned out to be a fun project. Here's a photo of it in it's new home in the nursery ;). I love my job.
The winner of the custom sign give away is Jen Hakes! Thanks to all who entered, I loved reading your sweet comments!