Here's a before photo. I had already started tearing things apart and had ditched the cushion by this point but you get the idea. There were two side sections, each with one arm and a curved center piece that made up the sectional. Having never tackled anything remotely this big or complicated before I decided to just makeover the side pieces one at a time and not redo the sectional as a whole. That left the issue of the arms. I knew I couldn't carve myself new fancy arms to match so I took the arm off of the first one and saved it to add to the second.
The first completed sofa
The second completed sofa with her new arm. (and an extremely bright pillow) I've learned a lot in a year, the tufting turned out so much better. I used velvet again but this time a darker gray.
This sofa was more complicated because of the arms. A lot more complicated. Halfway through I lost steam and it sat for months in my studio. Finally one day I woke up ready to tackle it and I didn't stop til I was done. Funny how that works.
I finished the back differently on this one, the way it was originally done instead of the easier way.
I am so happy to have this project done, they both turned out to be such cute little sofas. Love seats actually. Anyways I'm sure that guy from the garage sale would be happy. Well, let's face it he was happy the moment I hauled it away ;)
Here's the links to my blog series How to Reupholster a Vintage Sofa with some updates from what I've learned over the last year.
The Vintage Sofa Project Before Photos and Inspiration
Tearing down to the frame and removing the arm
Covering the bottom
Diamond Button Tufting the back
Upholstering the Curved Outside Back
Playing at the following parties
My Repurposed Life - Catch as Catch Can
Savvy Southern Style - Wow Us Wednesdays
Sailrite is a sponsor of Blue Roof Cabin but all opinions are my own.